Between 1926 and 1983, Hersheypark operated three different kiddie Ferris wheels.
1926 Kiddie Ferris Wheel
Did you know that Hersheypark installed its first two kiddie rides in 1926? One of the two was a kiddie Ferris wheel, installed 24 years before the first full sized Ferris wheels were installed in Comet Hollow.
This kiddie Ferris wheel was manufactured by W.F. Mangels Company. The ride was placed in what would become the Kiddieland section of the park 23 years later. It was located where Simply Chocolate (a food stand) is located adjacent to Fender Bender, today.
1959 Kiddie Ferris Wheel
In 1959, Hersheypark added a second kiddie Ferris wheel. This was placed in the Kiddieland section of the park in front of where the Craftbarn – now called Founder’s Kitchen – is in the park today. Very few pictures of the ride exist, and one picture is featured below.
This second kiddie Ferris wheel, though not placed next to the original, matched the park having two full-sized versions, the Twin Ferris Wheels.
However, following the 1960 season, Hersheypark retired both the Airplane Swing and the 1926 Kiddie Ferris Wheel. The kiddie wheel was replaced by the Bizzy Bees, which is still operating in Hersheypark today (making it one of the oldest rides in Hersheypark). The 1959 Kiddie Ferris Wheel remained in operation through the 1971 season. It was one of several kiddie rides scrapped when Der Deitschplatz was built for the 1972 season.
Interested in donating to The Amusement Parkives? Click here to learn more!