On March 3, 1906, in the Harrisburg Telegraph, it was reported that 22 new corporations had been chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Department. At the bottom of the list was a company valued at $100,000 (approximately $2.6 million in 2017 US dollars): West View Park Company, Pittsburg. (This was during the time Pittsburgh was spelled without the ending “h.”) F.W. Henninger was listed as the representative of the company.
List of new corporations established on March 9, 1906, in the Harrisburg Telegraph, on page 12. I removed the other 21 companies from the list for the purposes of easily displaying this article. This also misspells F.W. Henninger’s name as “Hemminger.”
Several days later, stockholders of the West View Park Company elected its officers. T.M. Harton was named president; O.C. MacKalip, vice president; F.W. Henninger, secretary and treasurer. The first board of directors were: T.M. Harton, L.T. Yoder, W.D. Johnston, E.D. Comstock, O.C. MacKalip, E.C. Berger, and F.W. Henninger.
The purpose of this company was to open a brand new trolley park in West View, Pennsylvania. Roughly $250,000 (approximately $6.4 million in 2017 US dollars) was to be spent on opening the park.
Below is a slideshow of images from The Pittsburgh Gazette from April 1906 of West View Park.
Pittsburgh Railways Company spent $200,000 (approximately $5.2 million in 2017 US dollars) adding terminal facilities, a power station, and extending power lines, to the Bellevue line.
West View Park opened on Wednesday, May 23, 1906, with Nirella’s Fourteenth Regiment Band being the major performer in the Dancing Pavilion. The park opened with three amusement rides: Mystic Chute, a combination Chute-the-Chute and Old Mill, a carousel called Merry-Go-Round, and a Figure 8 roller coaster. The park offered a variety of attractions including an arcade and photograph gallery, rowboats, ponies and burros for kids, and Hale’s Tours of the World – a moving picture panorama.
Hale’s Tours of the World was similar to a modern 4D movie theater experience – the room you were in could rock and shake simulating movement on a train ride, a typical movie for Hale’s Tours of the World.
The earliest advertisement for West View Park, printed in The Pittsburgh Press, on May 24, 1906, on page 6. This advert ran in multiple newspapers starting the day after the park opened.
West View Park would go on to have a very successful first season. New rides would be added in 1907, including a Katzenjammer Castle funhouse.
To see more about West View Park, check out the Library subsection on this site about West View Park.