Happy New Year’s Eve! As done in 2017, here is a look back at the top 10 articles published on The Amusement Parkives during the year. These are ranked by number of … Continue Reading 2018 in Review
The featured photo above is courtesy the Hershey-Derry Township Historical Society. If you are interested in looking at more photos in their collection, check out the Historical Society’s Online Collections … Continue Reading Hersheypark in 1968
Just down the road from Hersheypark, on Hersheypark Drive, is the Pennsylvania State Police Academy. It is located on the same hill as The Hotel Hershey and Catherine Hall, part … Continue Reading Tear Gas from Police Training Drifts into Hersheypark
Here is your Hersheypark update for December 17, 2018. Digging is underway in the old Hershey Park Pool area.
Hersheypark’s first Christmas Candylane was held 35 years ago in 1983.
The Rotor was invented in Europe in the 1940s and was brought to the United States in 1951. Kennywood Park installed a Rotor in 1955, and Hersheypark installed a Rotor in 1970.
Happy Thanksgiving from The Amusement Parkives!
Hersheypark was awarded 2 Brass Ring awards at the 2018 IAAPA annual meeting.
Construction of the perimeter gate for the expanded area of Hersheypark has continued. Fence poles have been installed on part of the fence line. It is set a handful of … Continue Reading Hersheypark Update | November 8, 2018
Hersheypark’s Hershey’s Chocolatetown preliminary construction is underway.
On October 23, Hersheypark in the Dark will turn 20 years old. The first season the event occurred was in 1998. Creatures of the Night originally began as a single … Continue Reading Hersheypark in the Dark turns 20
Hershey’s Chocolatetown, the first theme region added to Hersheypark since 2007, was announced on October 3, 2018. It will open in Summer 2020.
West Derry Road was a public road that existed until 1980 that cut through what is today Hersheypark. One of the former homes on West Derry Road exists in Hersheypark … Continue Reading When the Last Home on West Derry Road Was Sold
On September 12, Hersheypark posted on social media a teaser for the park’s “biggest announcement ever” in their history. This is more than likely related to the proposed 23 acre … Continue Reading Hersheypark teases major October 3 announcement
Now inside Hersheypark, Castelli’s Hotel was a restaurant that operated from 1940 to 1964 on West Derry Road in Hershey.
Reese’s Cupfusion is new for summer 2019. It will replace Reese’s Xtreme Cup Challenge, which will permanently close on September 3.
Hersheypark and Knoebels are experiencing continued flooding since Monday – both parks announced they would be closed on July 25 and July 26.
Hersheypark and Knoebels closed on July 23 due to localized flooding. Hersheypark is scheduled to reopen on July 24. Knoebels has not yet announced their plans for tomorrow.
On July 19, 2018, Kennywood Park and the Pittsburgh Steelers announced a collaboration that has resulted in a new themed region being added to the park, which will be called … Continue Reading Steelers Country to open in Kennywood Park in 2019
The mission begins on August 2, 2018. What will it be? #Hersheypark2019
In 2014, Hersheypark added a new branded food stand, one that was local to the Philadelphia and Jersey Shore area – Chickie’s & Pete’s. Chickie’s & Pete’s opened up a location … Continue Reading Chickie’s & Pete’s
Happy Fourth of July from The Amusement Parkives!
The Bug was one of Hershepark’s most classic rides, located in the Hollow, adjacent to Comet.
One hundred and ten years ago, Hersheypark opened for its third season of operations on May 30, 1908. This season was the year Hersheypark added its first amusement park attractions. … Continue Reading Hersheypark in 1908
The Wild Cat operated in Hersheypark from 1923 to 1945. It was manufactured by Philadelphia Toboggan Company and The Wild Cat was the first roller coaster designed by Herbert P. Schmeck.
Skyview was installed in 1966 over top of The Hollow.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company presented Plat #1298 to Derry Township Planning Commission.
I have created a donation page through PayPal if anyone would like to help support my research and writing efforts here and through The Amusement Parkives.
Today’s Hersheypark update features news of an upcoming improvements and updates to Hersheypark over the next two seasons, as well as updates on the construction of the new Racer Corner … Continue Reading Hersheypark Update | February 15, 2018
This is a special article about the history of Waagner-Biro’s double and triple wheels. For more information about Giant Wheel at Hersheypark see here and here. Waagner-Biro produced a new kind … Continue Reading Waagner-Biro | Double and Triple Wheels
One of the earliest rides purchased by Hersheypark, the Miniature Railroad debuted in 1910 and was operated to the 1971 season. This is a detailed review of the history of the Miniature Railroad.
After the 1911 season, the popularity of the park’s first carousel required the park to purchase a larger carousel for the park. The original carousel, often called the Merry-Go-Round, was … Continue Reading Hersheypark’s Carrousel | 1912 – 1944
In 1983, Hersheypark began drafting operations capital requirements for the years 1984 to 1988. What was created wasn’t a plan for the park to follow, just an idea of what … Continue Reading What Could Have Been | Hersheypark in the mid-1980s
This is a biographical profile of Randall A. Duell, one of the preeminent amusement park designers of the 20th Century. But not only was he distinguished for that – he … Continue Reading Randall A. Duell
The City of Pittsburgh got its first roller coaster in 1885, at the Penn Incline Resort. This was not only Pittsburgh’s first roller coaster, it was one of the first … Continue Reading Pittsburgh’s first roller coaster
On April 24, 1894, the Schenley Park Pleasure Railway Company announced that a roller coaster was being built near the entrance of Schenley Park, on Forbes Street, opposite the Carnegie library. … Continue Reading Schenley Park Pleasure Railway in Pittsburgh | 1894 – 1897
West View Park opened on May 23, 1906, a Wednesday. Learn more about how the park was developed and who was on the first Board of Directors.
The Greater Pittsburgh Exposition was an annual event which occurred in the fall of each year between 1889 and 1916. The exposition was located where Point State Park and PNC Park … Continue Reading Pittsburgh Exposition roller coasters
Construction for Hershey’s Chocolatetown in Tram Cirlce underway.
Merry Christmas to everyone! Thank you for reading The Amusement Parkives in 2018!
The Lingle House, formerly a home on West Derry Road, still exists inside Hersheypark today, and is a Subway restaurant. The building is over 100 years old.